What American Accent Do You Have?

What American accent do you have?
american accents
My Results?—  North Central
“North Central” is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw “Fargo” you probably didn’t think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary.  Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.”

Result Breakdown:
86% North Central
53% The West
50% The Midland
44% The Inland North
38% Boston
19% The South
13% Philadelphia
9% The Northeast

I guess I can’t be too surprised that even filling out the quiz it tells me I’m from Minnesota.

Take the quiz and post your results in the comments. Enjoy!

This entry was posted in accents, language and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to What American Accent Do You Have?

1. Ariel Ky says:

What American accent do you have?
    Your Result: The Inland North

I’m actually from Michigan, so this is fairly accurate, although I’ve always considered myself a Midwesterner. Actually Inland North is a more accurate designation. However, people have guessed that I’m from Michigan, not Wisconsin. I grew up saying pop, but changed to soda when I moved to California. Now that I’ve been living in China, I say soft drink.

This is the analysis I received:
    You may think you speak “Standard English straight out of the dictionary” but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like “Are you from Wisconsin?” or “Are you from Chicago?” Chances are you call carbonated drinks “pop.”

2. Janelle says:

I say pop too! I actually make an effort now to say soda. This quiz is pretty accurate!

3. This is great !

Thanks so much for sharing. I’m a midlander, and as they say “probably from Ohio”. I’ve retweeted it up a bit to share with others. Cheers, brad

4. Emily says:

Originally from North Dakota, (Oh, yah – sure, you bet?) then lived in Oregon mostly as a kid, but lived my teenage years in Rhode Island.(Pok the cah. Creeyanston, Rid Eyelin. Me ‘n Chevul gudda go ti the Woewik Mwoal. Weeyah go’in’ te Newpaw’ Creemry te ge’ a Quoffee-Ohwaful-Woffle.)
    Somehow it all balanced out to a Midland, but it sometimes depends with whom I’m talking, and how much I’ve been drinking!!

5. Admin says:

Thanks for the comment Emily!

6. Lynne Lipkind says:

On the money!

7. Jackie says:

I’m Mexican raised in Texas. I took the test and it said I have a Boston accent. How is that possible?

8. Admin says:

Lol. I’m not sure. It’s normally pretty accurate. thanks for the comment Jackie.